C119 Report - 6/22/2011 - Finally Making Progress

This is for information and updates on the restoration of the C-119 "Flying Box Car"

C119 Report - 6/22/2011 - Finally Making Progress

Postby Dave Kolchuk » 24 Jun 2011 19:04

The grounds finally dried out enough that the big farm machinery could start cutting all the tall grass around the airfield. Dave Oliver helped us by cutting a swath out to the C119 so we could get back to work.

Kevin House was anxious to get going on flight deck improvements.

Kevin looks pretty natural sitting up there on the C119's flight deck. He should. Kevin is a retired commercial airline Captain. The actual pilot and co-pilot seats have been removed to give us more room to move around the cockpit. They will soon be put back for the airshow.

Kevin also helped us continue on with the porthole window repairs.

This photo is proof I do more than stand around taking pictures. Some stubborn old rusted hardware had to be drilled out.

George Norsen got the big trimmer out to clear the tall grass under the plane. We are responsible for maintaining all the grounds around the plane along with it's restoration.

George has started repairs on the radome nose.

George also helped with the cleaning of the restored areas around the porthole windows. Now they can be painted with Clear-Coat to protect them from future corrosion.

I got the orbital sander out, removed rust, and cleaned the remaining seven windows.

Last Wednesday we moved all our display pieces from the admin building to the aircraft in preparation for the upcoming airshow.

Bill Kearney stopped by to give us a hand. Here, with me on the inside, we worked as a team to install new stainless steel hardware in four more porthole windows. Only three remain to be done, and then all 28 windows will be finished.

Every successful project has a good management team, and we are no exception. In fact, we seem to attract more than our fair share of "supervisors". Here we have Herb Entz, Jim McGurn, and George Norsen keeping an eye on things.
Last edited by Dave Kolchuk on 02 Nov 2014 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager, C119G Flying Boxcar.
Dave Kolchuk

Re: C119 Report - 6/22/2011 - Finally Making Progress

Postby Tom Kwiatkowski Sr. » 24 Jun 2011 22:12

Excellent report Dave. Boy, she sure has come a long way from her lonely days in the corner of the hanger, hasn't she? Keep up the good work. It's really starting to show. I'll have to take a tour on Airshow weekend.

That is all,
Major Tom ;)
Site Administrator/Moderator 1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum Website Message Board
Charter/Lifetime Member 1941 Historical Aircraft Group
Original Member/Moderator Major Tom's Corner-us-aircraft.com
Charter Member 9/11 Memorial & Museum
Tom Kwiatkowski Sr.
Site Admin

Postby Nathan Milarta » 06 Jul 2011 12:10

This is a really cool project. I wish gas prices were not so high I would go up. I should tag along with Brian more often and maybe will ask him if I could. I work 6 days a week now so it's gonna be hard.
Nathan Milarta

Postby Jason R Smith » 07 Jul 2011 06:43

Don't worry Nathan, some day you will be retired and get to spend lots of time at the museum. 8-)
Jason R Smith

Return to C119G Restoration - The "Phoenix Rising" Project