October started out with the reassembly of the lower flight deck windows on the starboard side. George Norsen prepared the frame for the new plexiglas windows.
Ollie cut the new windows for us and he, along with Kevin and George, inserted them into the aircraft frame.
With George on the inside, and Kevin outside, new stainless hardware was installed. Later, Ollie and I took their places and finished up the job.
Some of the SUNY Geneseo interns wanted to earn volunteer credit and get involved in aircraft restoration. On one Friday they came down and applied clearcoat to the remaining porthole window frames. This completes repairs to all 28 of those windows.
Next, we prepared to removed the rudders. Ollie and Kevin saturated the nuts and bolts with a rust remover.
A week later, the crew removed both rudders and one of the ailerons. They were carried into the 1941 hangar where they will be cleaned, repaired, recovered, and painted over the winter. To assist us, several interns from SUNY Geneseo will work with us. They will get college credit for this volunteer work.
While we had the scissors lift out, we took some "aerial" pictures of our newly painted roof. Walk safety lines will be added later.
George took advantage of the warm weather to give our grounds a last cutting
We will soon be closing the airplane up for the winter, so the displays and our "donation barrel" were moved inside the admin building.
"Twilight's last gleaming................"