C119 Report - 2/6/2012 - A Pot of Gold

This is for information and updates on the restoration of the C-119 "Flying Box Car"

C119 Report - 2/6/2012 - A Pot of Gold

Postby Dave Kolchuk » 06 Feb 2012 20:58

Is there a pot of gold buried beneath our C119?

Is this aircraft a "Pot of Gold" for the Museum?

This photograph, taken last December by former SUNY Geneseo Intern coordinator, Mike Terreri, certainly seems to suggest it. However, before you all grab your shovels and run out there, remember that the C119 restoration crew has first dibs on any findings!

The rainbow must have been a good omen as we did have a stroke of good luck recently. After almost a year of trying, we finally acquired a pair of original equipment cargo ramps. These are very hard to find, but thanks to the efforts of Bob Dunn, one of HAG's airshow vendors (Wings and Things Military Collectibles), a pair of ramps are now at his warehouse in North Carolina. He will be crating them up this week and sending them to us. This is a great boost towards the restoration of our plane. A special thanks to Dave Oliver's friend Marcia Fox, whose generous donation to the C119 restoration fund, enabled us to cover the cost.

We have ambitious plans for the painting of our aircraft. With the help of Canadian HAG member Bill Reid of London Ontario, we are getting more information on the plane's history, and are working on acquiring original stencils, masks, or decals to make it as authentic as possible. Canadian aircraft are often referred to by their registration numbers, thus we call ours "22103". Our aircraft displays the 1921 Red Ensign and Bill has sent us color reference for the Union Jack and Coat of Arms. Then the challenge will be to paint them on 22103's tail fins.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch ...er...hangar, George Norsen has started removing ripped fabric off one of the rudders.

Working at the other end, Kevin House cleans out bird nests and decades of dirt.

Bob Boyle and Stirlin Harris helped by assembling two new saw horses for us.

George and I worked together to remove the trim tabs, while Jim McGurn and Herb Entz look on.

We are quitting the "Bird Condo" business and cleaning out everything we can. Next Spring our little feathered friends will have to look for a new home.

I understand Kevin also does floors, drapes, and furniture. Not sure about car interiors though..........

Herb couldn't just stand by and watch so he grabbed some tools and chipped in.

This is Nick Fenik, our new student volunteer coordinator from SUNY Geneseo. He replaces Mike Terreri who recently graduated but still keeps in touch. On his first day Nick wasted no time getting his hands dirty.

They trust me with a screwdriver so I was able to help with trim tab removal. I didn't think I was balding that much - better wear a hat from now on............

Kevin and the Interns started sanding and cleaning our exterior service ladder. When finished it will be placed back on the outside of the aircraft for display.

As you can see, we have many facets of this project running simultaneously, and many people are involved. We are very thankful to all who help and try hard to recognize them for their efforts. If anyone has been missed, be sure to let me know. Without all this help on a continuous basis, we would never get this aircraft done. When it's finished, it will be a real jewel to the Museum, and hopefully in time, be a real "Pot of Gold" to the HAG.

Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager (Depending on who you talk to).
C119G "Phoenix Rising" Project.
Last edited by Dave Kolchuk on 29 Oct 2014 17:00, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager, C119G Flying Boxcar.
Dave Kolchuk

Re: C119 Report - 2/6/2012 - A Pot of Gold

Postby Steve Martz » 06 Feb 2012 21:49

Hey Dave, it's good to see that the Flying Boxcar project is moving along. From the looks of the rudder section that Kevin's working on, the birds must have eaten a lot of blueberries and raspberries.
I hope to get up to Geneseo this Wednesday, I'll be checking on your progress then.
Semper Fly,
Steve
Steve Martz
Site Admin

Re: C119 Report - 2/6/2012 - A Pot of Gold

Postby Mike Terreri » 09 Feb 2012 00:34

'Where is the 'like/thumbs-up' button on this page?' :)

Great stuff, Dave. Thanks for posting and keeping us all informed!
---
Mike Terreri
Mike Terreri

Return to C119G Restoration - The "Phoenix Rising" Project