C119 Report - 3/18/2012 - Ramping Up.

This is for information and updates on the restoration of the C-119 "Flying Box Car"

C119 Report - 3/18/2012 - Ramping Up.

Postby Dave Kolchuk » 18 Mar 2012 17:53

The C119 Cargo ramps we've been waiting for are here!

Kevin and Ollie wasted no time unwrapping them.

They were moved into the 1941 hanger where they will be cleaned, painted, and given a new layer of anti-skid material. Ollie's friend Marcia looks on.

Ollie and his friend Marcia Fox. It is due to Marcia's generous donation to the C119 Restoration Fund that we were able to purchase these original equipment ramps.

I recently took advantage of the unusually warm weather to get my hands dirty.... er..... clean, and wash the C119's trim tabs in preparation for their patching and painting.

The SUNY Geneseo interns continued to help us during the winter. Brandon Horton used the grinder to remove corrosion and old paint from the trim tab mounting brackets.

Several interns swarmed over the service ladder, removing paint and corrosion to get it ready for painting. From left to right are: Mike (Blue and white Stripes), Andrew Yankay (In background) Paul Kennedy, and Matt.

Looks like they've just about got it ready!

Last Wednesday was a beautiful day and Kevin opened up the C119 to receive some special visitors of mine.

This is AIden and Tyler, my grandsons visiting from Detroit, Michigan.

The boys gave the C119 cockpit a thorough inspection.

The kids love these big old planes. Tyler is ready to join our crew and get to work!

Grandpa Dave and Tyler. I get to see these boys only a few times a year and show them off every chance I get. After all, that's my job, isn't it?

Thanks to Reed Hall, Tyler was able to see an airplane close up! That's Tyler's dad, my son Chris, in the foreground.

This is where future pilots come from!
Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager, C119G Flying Boxcar.
Dave Kolchuk

Return to C119G Restoration - The "Phoenix Rising" Project