C119 Report - 4/26/2012 - Second Anniversary

This is for information and updates on the restoration of the C-119 "Flying Box Car"

C119 Report - 4/26/2012 - Second Anniversary

Postby Dave Kolchuk » 26 Apr 2012 18:57

This month marks the completion of the second year of our restoration effort. It was in April 2010 that George Norsen first suggested to me that we take on this project to "spruce up the 'ole girl" and make her look more presentable. Then Kevin House and Dave Oliver (Ollie) joined us to fill out the C119 Restoration Team. At first it seemed we hadn't made much progress, but then thinking back to what the junk-filled hulk looked like in the beginning, we really have come a long way. Also several facets of this project are underway now as we speak (write) which you will see come together as this year moves along, so check back here regularly.

Kevin has finished painting the service ladder and is putting it's feet back on. Soon it will be displayed on the side of the aircraft where it will be in it's "service position".

George and I have been washing the ailerons and rudders in preparation for their recovering and painting.

Ollie has been busy cleaning up our cargo ramps.

On a recent Wednesday, Kevin prepared one of the trim tabs for a work session with the Geneseo interns. They came down the following Friday for lessons in fabric recovering.

He started by demonstrating how to iron out the material while interns, Paul Kennedy, Andrew Yonkey, and Ryan Carroll look on.

Then Ryan tried his hand at it.

The boys teamed up to apply patches to cover the openings in the trim tabs.

Brandon Horton and Andrew Yonkey applied tape to cover the rivets.

Then they cut out material to cover the framework.

The finishing touches were applied and the tabs were set aside to dry. They will be ironed out another day.
ImageImage

This is what our C119 looked like when it first arrived in Geneseo. I've been told the dark areas just past the crew door are smoke stains from it's days as a fire fighter. We are still researching it's history to learn more about that.

This is what our plane looks like today. For some unknown reason, somebody removed all the markings on the port side of the aircraft. We will have to put those marking back on to paint it up in it's original Canadian colors.

To accomplish that I have started redrawing the "lightning bolts" on the side of the aircraft. Kevin is helping me with this.

These lines will give us guides to follow for the placement of masking tape.

With the weather starting to warm up we will be very busy with all the work we have ahead of us. If you have a day to help out and don't mind getting your hands dirty, stop down and see us on any given Wednesday.

Dave Kolchuk
Last edited by Dave Kolchuk on 28 Oct 2014 17:25, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager, C119G Flying Boxcar.
Dave Kolchuk

Re: C119 Report - April 26, 2012 - Second Anniversary

Postby Mike Terreri » 26 Apr 2012 20:18

Looks great! Thanks for the update.
---
Mike Terreri
Mike Terreri

Postby Tom Kwiatkowski Sr. » 27 Apr 2012 17:10

Two Years, eh? How time flies when you're having fun.

That is all.
Major Tom ;)
Site Administrator/Moderator 1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum Website Message Board
Charter/Lifetime Member 1941 Historical Aircraft Group
Original Member/Moderator Major Tom's Corner-us-aircraft.com
Charter Member 9/11 Memorial & Museum
Tom Kwiatkowski Sr.
Site Admin

Postby Nathan Milarta » 29 Apr 2012 20:00

I still would love to help out on the -119. I have a soft spot for cold-war era big sticks. Corn cob radials are the coolest! :D
Nathan Milarta

Postby Jason R Smith » 30 Apr 2012 07:50

Wow, great progress. She will be a great static display!
Jason R Smith

Return to C119G Restoration - The "Phoenix Rising" Project