We've finally removed all of the flight deck windows. Paul had to drill out some stubborn screws.
Then we covered the entire front of the plane with plastic to keep the elements out. Haven't seen any birds for a while - I think they have already headed south.
This is the trencher George rented to dig a path to the Boxcar. I stood by, rake in hand, ready to go to work.
Joe operated the trencher for us, starting at Swanson Hall and worked his way out to the plane.
George made all the final connections at the back of the Hall.
After the trench was filled in the concrete walk slabs were replaced by George, Kevin and I.
Kevin and Ollie had to reconnect a drainage line.
Meanwhile, Joe continued on towards the airplane.
Ollie and I dropped the power line into the trench. Shortly after, Stirlin stopped by with his tractor and plow blade, and filled in the trench. Kevin did the final grading.
As the trench was being finished, Ollie was inside the C119 hooking up the power switch and outlets.
After adding a circuit breaker in Swanson Hall, he turned on the power for the first time.Success!!
But we didn't stop there. We still had a lot of work to do.
Remember these roof air vents we showed you last month?
Well, Ollie got up there and installed his custom made inserts to close them up.
So now they look like this!
This seals them up to keep out birds, bees, rain, etc. and they look just like original equipment.
Then Ollie touched them up to finish the job.
With the heavy workload this month, all five of us have been showing up a couple days a week. We are trying to finish up before it gets too cold to work outside. Looks more like a tailgate party, doesn't it?
The next big piece of business was to finish up the white painting. Paul and I started by masking the side markings.
With the roof windows out, I was able to easily mask the windshield.
Kevin took his roller and finished painting the roof.
While Paul was painting the starboard side markings..........
......... I was doing the port side.
Kevin and Paul finished the front of the cockpit.
Paul also painted all the aluminum trim strips. There were 30 strip pieces and four frame sections needing two coats of paint.
For some unknown reason, the original side markings had been removed from the port side of the plane years ago. It is our task to redraw and paint them to look original.
This is just the beginning. Next year we will add the red-orange striping.
After all the tape had been removed, our painting for the year was finally finished.Kilroy was here!!!