SEARCHLIGHT RESTORATION PROJECT

Museum News and Photo Updates, HAG/NWM Discussions, HAG/NWM Member News, Ideas, Questions, Stories, anything related to the 1941 "HAG" and the National Warplane Museum is welcomed here!

SEARCHLIGHT RESTORATION PROJECT

Postby Paul Lazzara » 08 Oct 2013 18:38

What would complement an airfield more than a searchlight ? A searchlight!! it is true we are going to restore a vintage WW2 GE searchlight. After looking over several units we found one that was still attached to it's original trailer and still has its wheels on it also. the overall condition of this unit is pretty good - a couple of hole need to be repaired , mostly though, it needs some tlc. There are plenty of spare parts available to us all we need is pick and pull and replace parts as needed or weather permitting.
The goal is to have the light hands on ready by next airshow - also to make it completely operational at a later date

I will be posting photos of the unit and progress up to now asap. If any one is interested in joining us on this project please feel free to drop me a line

Regards
Paul
Paul Lazzara

Re: SEARCHLIGHT RESTORATION PROJECT

Postby Gary Lampman » 12 Oct 2013 22:35

Just what every WWII airfield needs. Picture warbirds basking in the glow of an USO dance in the hangar while searchlight beams sweep the night sky over Geneseo. Great project!
Gary Lampman

Postby Paul Lazzara » 13 Oct 2013 10:33

Thank you Gary.
Update on the light - it now has been secured - The units all came with hand cranks so that they could be manually or automatically controlled, without the hand crank in position ( it is removable - also one of the missing parts we need) and held by a thumb lock on the light will tilt - there would be nothing to prevent it from moving - in the past someone left the flip switch on hand mode witch caused the light to slip facing straight up the clutch was not holding in that mode - after 4 hours of working in freeing it up - it now is holding on the auto (electric control) side of the switch. With no electric current the clutch is holding.
Some corrosion was found on the frame also.
Hopefully over the next several weeks - we can pick and pull all the spare parts needed to restore this unit , weather permitting

I am working on posting photos - hopefully this week !!

Regards

Paul
Paul Lazzara

Postby Paul Lazzara » 19 Oct 2013 19:33

ok I am attempting to post a photo of one of the lights .
Paul Lazzara

Postby Steve Martz » 19 Oct 2013 21:59

Hey, it looks good. Who's the guy standing there monkeying with the light?
Semper Fly,
Steve
Steve Martz
Site Admin

Postby Paul Lazzara » 19 Oct 2013 22:49

That is one of the lights - too much work on this one right now .
That guy would be me - your friendly door to door searchlight repairman.
Paul Lazzara

Postby Paul Lazzara » 28 Oct 2013 16:00

As promised, here's photos of the searchlight project.

Data plate.

Second possible candidate for restoration that needs more work.

Electrical and controller hookups.

Light we are restoring.

Another view of it stuck in the ground.

View of missing panel and what the reflector looks like.

View of electrical control panel.

Sliding doors that need to be replaced.

Close-ups view of welding work that needs to be done.

Paul Lazzara

Postby Paul Lazzara » 03 Nov 2013 13:42

Hi all - another Saturday update
Spent about 3 hours uninstalling all of the electrical connections and nuts holding the rod head assembly/frame before the rain started - need to get back down next Saturday to finish the removal , this will require the removal of the rest of the glass sectional pieces. There are 4 studs with nuts ( now removed) and a stud which holds this in place - need pop off the stud,this may require some heat or tons of PB Blast and one connecting rod needs to be released also.
The rest of the day was spent cleaning out the interior area of the lens - found a little more corrosion that needs to be addressed; cleaned up the parts retrieved the last time.
Now it starting to look like a light !!!!
Yes the some retrieved parts have been installed
Paul Lazzara

Postby Dave Kolchuk » 03 Nov 2013 18:24

Good Report Paul. Glad to see other projects in progress around the museum. Perhaps you will inspire others.

Suggestion;
I scale all photos I use on the MB to 720 x 480 pixels. That way the entire image fits nicely on the forum page. Nothing gets cut off. No need to click on each image to see the whole thing. Just something to consider. If you need help with sizing photos, I can help.

Dave
Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager, C119G Flying Boxcar.
Dave Kolchuk

Postby Paul Lazzara » 03 Nov 2013 19:22

Thank you Dave - I tried a site that does sizing and I can post from it also - still getting used to it
Paul Lazzara

Next

Return to 1941 Historical Aircraft Group and National Warplane Museum Matters