C119 Report - 10/15/2013 - Fall Update

This is for information and updates on the restoration of the C-119 "Flying Box Car"

C119 Report - 10/15/2013 - Fall Update

Postby Dave Kolchuk » 15 Oct 2013 08:46

There is no such thing as a person "just visiting" at NWM. Even my 11-year old grandson, John Evans of Greece NY, was put to work during a recent visit to the Museum. Here he helps mounts a trim tab on a rudder.

All trim tabs and hardware have been painted and remounted to the rudders and ailerons.

This is Richard Curtis, a museum volunteer and the newest member of the C119 Restoration Crew. Officially, the team now numbers six people, but due to other needs around the museum we often find ourselves helping out on other projects as well.

Special brackets were made up by Ollie and then attached to the parts to keep them from moving around once they are back on the plane.

The elevator was the first piece to be reattached to the plane. It took six of us to carefully move the piece out to the lift for transport to the aircraft.

Paul built special padded brackets and mounted them on the lift to protect the elevator from harm while being moved.

Then it's off to the C119 for installation.

Richard and I discuss what approach to take in remounting the elevator

Ollie crawled up on the horizontal stabilizer to start bolting things together.

Paul steadied the part while I stretched my hands and arms up into the access holes to reattach the mounting bolts.

Richard and Paul both helped with the awkward job of reattachment.

Ollie had a bird's eye view of the whole thing.

Kevin tried to help but is still recovering from a fall, so instead supervised the work.

This is another example of why restoration projects take so long. One of the aileron mounting brackets had broken off many years ago when the aircraft first came to HAG. Ollie had to custom build a new one (at the left) in order to reinstall the aileron.

As we go into Fall, we are trying to reattach as many parts as possible, but our work is weather dependent. It also takes a lot of manpower to handle these large pieces so if any readers of this blog can stop down on a Wednesday, send me a note or call and I'll give you our schedule.

Dave Kolchuk
585-227-4273
dkolchuk@rochester.rr.com
Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager, C119G Flying Boxcar.
Dave Kolchuk

Return to C119G Restoration - The "Phoenix Rising" Project