It's been a long, cold winter and for most of it we found ourselves inside the 1941 hangar working on the ramps. The Boxcar sat patiently waiting for us out in the cold.
Our de-icing system needs a little work . . . . . . . . .
Since we had heat (A cozy 50 degrees) in the 1941 hangar, we decided to overhaul the cargo ramps. George and Paul started by removing the top deck screws.
Some screws were frozen and I had to drill them out.
Ollie used an air chisel on some of them.
With the top deck piece removed, the inside needed to be vacuumed out, and Paul started grinding down broken screw shafts.
Some screws were so badly corroded the heads twisted off when we tried to remove them, leaving the shaft stuck in the ramp. Kevin ground down many of them to level off the surface.
With the first ramp finished, Paul and Bob worked on the second one.
Bob had to really fight with a couple of the more stubborn screws, but in the end, got them all out.
The ramps are now being sanded and readied for painting. Paul has been doing research to see what our material choices are to rebuild the top anti-skid surfaces. More on this later.
To get ready for Spring, I have been meeting with personnel at Sherwin-Williams paint in Geneseo to see about getting some red paint for the Boxcar. After exchanging emails and phone calls with the SW District Manager, we were able to negotiate some discounted paint and materials. I will be submitting paperwork to the Museum Directors for funding.
We (The C119 crew) have decided to apply the red paint as our next major project when weather permits. Then the rudders will be re-installed. Hopefully all this will be completed before airshow time.
Stay warm - Spring is just around the corner!