C119 Report - 5/3/2014 - Gettin' Ready for Spring

This is for information and updates on the restoration of the C-119 "Flying Box Car"

C119 Report - 5/3/2014 - Gettin' Ready for Spring

Postby Dave Kolchuk » 03 May 2014 10:52

Work continues on the Boxcar's cargo ramps as the snow finally melts and temperatures become more moderate. The ramps are now ready for painting and rebuilding.

These are the old ramp top pieces which are pretty beat up and have most of the anti-skid material missing.

Bob finishes up some sanding as we get ready to paint.

Paul searched high and low until he found some good quality plywood the exact thickness we needed. Then he had them cut to our specifications. These will be the base for our rebuilt top panels.

This is a sample of what it will look like. A plywood base, covered with a anti-skid material, and surrounded by aluminum edging.

This box contains the roll of anti-skid material we will be using. Paul Nothnagle's daughter Kathy arranged to have it donated to us by Carlisle SynTec division of Carlisle Construction Materials in Pennsylvania where she works. Thank you Kathy and Carlisle!

Paul is now assembling the top panels to fit perfectly on top of the ramps.

George and I unpacked our order of aluminum edging which arrived this week. We purchased it from Extrude-A-Trim of Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada, who manufactured it to our specifications.

Meanwhile, the painting of the ramp bodies has started, with Kevin, Bob, and I doing the work.

The first coat of paint is complete and we will continue on next week.

This is Tom Stroh, Kevin House's cousin. Tom is a Ham Radio Operator and is helping us by overhauling the radio panels in the C119's flight deck. The unit he is "adjusting" is one he added to the array. The missing wooden table top was removed by volunteer Richard Curtis, who is in the process of rebuilding them.

Tom also cleaned up part of the radio framework and replaced some missing switches.

This is a new panel Tom added to enhance the appearance of the radioman's station.

Tom cleaned and replaced the Radio Junction Box which tidied things up a bit more.

So, as you can see, many aspects of the C119's restoration are in progress simultaneously. Soon we hope to get outdoors to work on the plane itself and get it ready for this year's NWM Airshow.
Last edited by Dave Kolchuk on 17 Oct 2014 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager, C119G Flying Boxcar.
Dave Kolchuk

Re: C119 Report - 5/3/2014 - Gettin' Ready for Spring

Postby Terry Swann » 03 May 2014 13:24

Keep up the good work guys. Keep an eye on Kevin when he has a can of spray paint in his hands. If it doesn't move, he may paint it..
Terry Swann

Re: C119 Report - 5/3/2014 - Gettin' Ready for Spring

Postby Steve Martz » 03 May 2014 13:41

Lookin' good guys. I can tell by looking at the old ramp tops that you had quite a job of removing them. It doesn't look like any of the old screws came out peaceably. I'll be sure to get to the 1941 hangar and check them out on the 15th when I'm up to see the C47 off.
Semper Fly,
Steve
Steve Martz
Site Admin

Return to C119G Restoration - The "Phoenix Rising" Project