C119 Report - 8/4/2014 - "A Flash of Color"

This is for information and updates on the restoration of the C-119 "Flying Box Car"

C119 Report - 8/4/2014 - "A Flash of Color"

Postby Dave Kolchuk » 04 Aug 2014 11:33

The zig-zag lines on the sides of the Boxcar are called the "Flash". After re-drawing and careful masking, we started the red painting of these markings. This is the first time since the early 90's that these markings have been seen on the port side of the aircraft.

A rear starboard view of the Flash. The black outline trim will be added later.

Special note;
At this point we have to thank several people for helping us get the red paint we are using. It started with Canadian NWM member Bill Reid, whose research put us in touch with Ron Wylie and Ken Kennedy of the Jet Aircraft Museum in London, Ontario, Canada. They were able to come up with the Canadian Colour Standard code and it's US Federal equivalent. Then we had the help of Sherwin-Williams Geneseo Store Managers Jesse Warren and Matt Walker, who were able to formulate a custom mixed paint that matched the original color used by the RCAF. I wrote a letter to the Sherwin-Williams Company, and after a phone conversation with their District Manager, was able to negotiate a donation of two gallons of paint, two quarts of hardener, and all sundries, saving us about $300.00 in costs. We are very, very, grateful to all for their help and generosity.

We also painted the tops and bottoms of both wing tips.

To get ready for the airshow, I started painting the gear wheels. Tom Stroh helped with this.

Kevin and I discuss the re-installation of the Boxcar's radio antenna.

Kevin had repaired and painted the antenna, and then set to work on it's installation.

A job well done!

Kevin and I enjoying the view from above on a beautiful day in Geneseo.

Meanwhile, Paul has been busy cleaning the dorsal and ventral fins before starting the next stage of painting.

The tail fins will also be part of the next painting stage.

One of the ventral fins has already been painted.

Paul riveted sheet metal to the backs of the tail fins to keep birds out while I applied masking tape.

George also helped with the masking.

The outside of the tail fins are ready for painting. The area marked with an "X" is to be left unpainted because it is where the ensign will eventually go. During the airshow, I met a couple of guys from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum who are putting us in touch with a "decal expert" who can us help with this.
Last edited by Dave Kolchuk on 18 Oct 2014 12:19, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager, C119G Flying Boxcar.
Dave Kolchuk

Re: C119 Report - 8/4/2014 - "A Flash of Color"

Postby AndyMorris » 04 Aug 2014 11:55

It is amazing how a little dress up can make the whole aircraft look so good.

I can't wait for the polishing party to bring the shine back to the rest of the a/c.

Great work! And great forethought to reach out to Sherwin-Williams!

Thank you.

Andy Morris
AndyMorris

Return to C119G Restoration - The "Phoenix Rising" Project