C119 Report - 10/7/2014 - Red Tails in the Sunset.

This is for information and updates on the restoration of the C-119 "Flying Box Car"

C119 Report - 10/7/2014 - Red Tails in the Sunset.

Postby Dave Kolchuk » 07 Oct 2014 20:05

Now it was time to start the second stage of the red painting. Bob C. gets things ready.

Kevin and I started painting the outsides of the tail fins.

While we were doing that, Bob C. carefully touched up the red and white flash on the sides of the aircraft. Note the freshly painted prop warning line. The old one at left was wrong and will be removed.

The outsides of the vertical stabilizers and the fins are now painted.

The following week we moved on to the third and final stage of the red painting - the insides of the vertical stabilizers and the horizontal stabilizer.

Paul started by setting up a ladder on two non-skid boards. Someone always held the base of the ladder while he painted the tops of the stabilizers.

Meet Abigail Marion. She was on a tour of the Museum when she discovered our project and became very interested. She then joined the Museum and became part of the C119 crew. She wasted no time getting to work. Welcome Abby!

After Paul finished the vertical stabilizer, he carried on painting the horizontal stabilizer.

Abby painted the other end of the stabilizer.

Then it was time to move down to the underside of the horizontal stabilizer.

Abby, Paul, and I painted this.

We needed a break. Thanks to Kevin, who was house-sitting for a friend, the C119 crew had a great picnic on Canandiagua Lake. From left to right; Bob C., George and his wife Chris, and Paul with Tom in the foreground. This might be the start of a new tradition!

I am on the left with Ollie. Bob C. with Tom at the right.

With all of the red painting completed, it was time to remount the rudders which had been previously repaired, painted, and waiting in storage for this day.

Kevin, Abby, and I carefully positioned each rudder in place while Ollie bolted everything together.

And VIOLA! we are done! Everything is back together again.

The plane really gleams in the bright Fall sunlight.

Ollie went back up one more time to secure each rudder so they won't move in the wind.

The red paint really stands out in the bright morning sun.

Before and after. Quite a difference.
Last edited by Dave Kolchuk on 18 Oct 2014 13:02, edited 3 times in total.
Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager, C119G Flying Boxcar.
Dave Kolchuk

Re: C119 Report - 10/7/2014 - Red Tails in the Sunset.

Postby Terry Swann » 08 Oct 2014 15:44

In the picture of you people by the lake, who is the black and white, low slung person, keeping an eye on the grill?????
Terry Swann

Return to C119G Restoration - The "Phoenix Rising" Project