C119 Report - 11/20/2014 - Moving Day

This is for information and updates on the restoration of the C-119 "Flying Box Car"

C119 Report - 11/20/2014 - Moving Day

Postby Dave Kolchuk » 20 Nov 2014 17:56

The MARC C47, which had been parked behind the C119, was moved to a new location where it would better greet visitors to the Museum.

It was placed just west of the C119, facing the parking lot. Many hands helped out - Left to Right, Kevin House, Don Wilson, Austin W. and I positioned it while Jim McGurn looks on.

Stirlin used the Dodge Tug to place the plane on steel plates to keep it from sinking into the soft ground. It took seven Museum members to supervise the placement.

Properly positioned, it now has a new home along side the C119 within the confines of "Boxcar Park". The "Park" is in the early planning stages and will contain grass paths surrounded by wild flowers. Picnic tables, park benches, and perhaps a shrub or two will be added later.

The frog pond is also part of the park and will probably have a more attractive barrier going around it. Not sure yet about the mail stand.

The WWII ambulance has also been moved. Rescued from the back lot and brought into the 1941 hanger, it will get a face lift this winter. Like the jeep we did a couple of years ago, the ambulance will received minor repairs and paint to make it more presentable.

Our two picnic tables are in the hanger for repairs and paint as well.

Paul Lazzara was able to get us a park bench for the park. We already have new wooden slats for it.

Meanwhile, the C119 crew was getting the C119 cleaned up before we close it for the winter. Paul N. vacuumed out the flight deck.

Bob C, Paul N, Tom S. Abby, and I cleaned up the cargo area. Looks pretty good in there now.

On the outside, Kevin and I covered up a few openings we found under the plane. Anything to discourage the birds from moving in.
Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager, C119G Flying Boxcar.
Dave Kolchuk

Return to C119G Restoration - The "Phoenix Rising" Project