We removed the hood of the ambulance and found a "critter" in there!
A mighty big critter at that!
Ollie was inspecting the suspension to see why the ambulance was listing so much to the starboard side. Paul N. assisted him.
It turns out the spacers in the springs needed to be changed around so the ambulance will sit level. Herb also helped out while Ollie crawled underneath to take measurements.
It was a rough, dirty job, but necessary. Each corner of the vehicle had to be jacked up, spring spacers either added or removed, and then tighten everything up.
Some of the mounting brackets were so old and corroded they broke during disassembly. A search for replacement hardware proved futile so Ollie welded new threaded ends to the old brackets. The shiny part in the photo was added to the original piece.
When all was said and done, the ambulance was sitting level and true. The grille guard and other front end pieces were removed in preparation for painting.
While all this was going on, the weather outside was frightful. Our two lonely aircraft in Boxcar Park wait patiently for our return.
At home, I was finishing up the C119's instrument panel. The first instrument was added.
Switches, lights, and hardware were secured and touch-up paint was applied.
Upon completion, I then turned it over to Kevin, who will add additional instruments.
In the paint room, Paul N. has just finished varnishing the park bench's wooden slats. He also put several coats of dark green paint on the cast iron pieces. When dry, he will reassemble everything.
Paul L. also chipped in and helped us with the ambulance by removing the headlamps and other parts. Some of these parts will go home with us to be fixed and painted, then brought back for installation.
We had to dig into some parts to remove corrosion and debris - a dirty job.