C119 Report - 10/11/2015 - A Splash of Color

This is for information and updates on the restoration of the C-119 "Flying Box Car"

C119 Report - 10/11/2015 - A Splash of Color

Postby Dave Kolchuk » 11 Oct 2015 12:22

We finished the propeller sanding and cleaning, so Larry Ricotta and Paul Nothnagle started painting the gray portion of the blades.

The propellers look quite different with the gray paint. The yellow edging at the bottom of the blades is a temporary protective padding. The spinners also got a coat of yellow paint.

When the paint was dry, Larry and Paul removed the masking tape.

Then they masked and painted the yellow propeller tips. When they were dry, Kevin House helped remove the tape.

On the park grounds around the plane, the wildflower areas started to fill in and become more colorful.

The Rose of Sharon bushes have started blooming.

The main walkway into Boxcar Park is now more clearly defined.

It was such a beautiful day Kevin House went flying in his "Imaginary airplane". I assume he had a good landing as he is smiling. The steering yoke he is holding is one of many pieces we have removed from the flight deck as we prepare winter projects. We have also started work recently with a fellow who is helping get us instruments and radio equipment.

You may have wondered what I've been doing lately except walk around and take pictures. Actually I have been hard at work cleaning and painting the black gear doors. All four doors are now finished.

To carry this further, the nacelles are now being cleaned and painted. Note the yellow masking tape at the top of photo. Also, at the bottom center is a strip of tape covering some of the stenciled white lettering on the plane. Once we obtain a stencil machine we will be able to remake all that lettering, but for now we must cover it so we don't lose it. That new black paint makes quite a difference.

Somebody else with a camera caught me goofing off. What the heck, I'm entitled to a break once and a while too!
Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager, C119G Flying Boxcar.
Dave Kolchuk

Return to C119G Restoration - The "Phoenix Rising" Project