C119 Report - 7/18/2016 - Spring & Summer Activity

This is for information and updates on the restoration of the C-119 "Flying Box Car"

C119 Report - 7/18/2016 - Spring & Summer Activity

Postby Dave Kolchuk » 18 Jul 2016 20:28

We haven't posted here in a while. This is due to my needing some time off from Museum work, and some changes made affecting the Message Board and it's accessibility. As you probably know we now have a new NWM website and it currently does not have a direct link to the old MB. I have been working on the new website and hope to change this in the future. In the meantime however, I will continue to post on this Board as I have a following of folks who are really interested in keeping up with the C119's progress. That said, let's move forward.

We left off with the Ambulance which made progress over the winter and is looking a lot better.

Kevin House worked on the instrument panel over the winter and added several new pieces.

This Spring he also worked on one of the ailerons which developed a rip in it's fabric covering. He repaired it with aluminum flashing, riveting it in place to make it more durable.

He and I also got up on the horizontal stabilizer to make repairs to the elevator. It had a rip in it too.

We don't know what happened to cause it. A bird may have pecked through it, a piece of windblown debris may have hit it, but it was a mess. We covered the entire opening with aluminum flashing and pop riveted it in place. I don't think the birds will peck through that.

Click on the image below for a video of what the damage looked like. After viewing video, click on your browser's back arrow to return to this page. Video by Paul Nothnagle.

This is Dave Thelen, the newest member of the Boxcar Boys. Dave is a sign painter who offered to help with the plane's markings. He started with the two roundels on the outboard sides of the booms.

When finished, Dave's work was spectacular. What an improvement! Notice also the N-number at the right has been removed. Kevin took them off both sides.

The painting of the black areas continues on the starboard side of the booms and nacelles.

The unpainted area at far left is lettering we don't want to cover over until we have the ability to replace it. Dave T. said he can help with this too.

Meanwhile others were getting ready for the airshow. Dave Semley of Ontario, Canada helped with cleaning the park benches for visitors.

The Boxcar was looking good on the Friday of airshow weekend.

We had our jeep on the ramps again this year, and this time it had some company! A visitor brought over his jeep (with girlfriend in the back seat) and trailer to add to our display.

But the kids loved our old jeep the best! All weekend long they climbed aboard it and posed for pictures.

Then some members of a military vehicle restoration group offered us some more "lawn ornaments". Along with this deuce and a half, was a 3/4 ton truck and another jeep, all fully restored and running.

I spent most of the weekend on the flight line, but had a great crew taking care of the Boxcar.

Boxcar Boys Kevin House and Tom Stroh spent the weekend greeting visitors and conducting tours of the aircraft.

George Norsen, seated at right, spent all day Saturday meeting with visitors and answering questions. Inside the plane was another Boxcar Boy, Bob Cox giving folks facts and figures about the aircraft.

Paul Nothnagle finished the second of our two park benches in time for the show. The one at right was just completed and boy, do they look sharp!

They were placed in the shade under the starboard wing, and were popular with the visitors.

Boxcar Boy Dave Oliver (Ollie) had a special surprise for his friend Marcia which was an emotional moment for her.

Several years ago, Marcia made a very generous donation to the C119 restoration fund enabling us to purchase a pair of rare, very hard to acquire, cargo ramps. We then restored the ramps and now just added these plaques to thank Marcia for her gift.

She tried to contain her emotions for this posed photo with her friend Ollie.
Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager, C119G Flying Boxcar.
Dave Kolchuk

Return to C119G Restoration - The "Phoenix Rising" Project