C119 Report - 10/3/2016 - Repairs & Painting

This is for information and updates on the restoration of the C-119 "Flying Box Car"

C119 Report - 10/3/2016 - Repairs & Painting

Postby Dave Kolchuk » 03 Oct 2016 12:05

Richard Curtis continues to seal up the C119 to keep the birds and bees out of it.

When working on the Boxcar, one needs to be very careful. There are rumors of rogue jeeps roaming the fields looking for unsuspecting volunteers to feed on. The results can be truly horrendous.

Paul Nothnagle has been touching up the park benches before putting them into storage for the winter.

These are the two benches he has finished this year.

These two beat up benches were donated by Eileen who works in the office with Donna. They will be Paul's projects this winter and restored to look like the ones in the picture above.

I've been kept busy with the black painting around the nacelles, engines, and booms. The lower areas are almost finished. It's been going slow due to many of the Boxcar crew being busy with personal matters and other museum business.

One blessing of the hot, dry, rain-free summer is good weather to paint in.

Some before and after pictures.

Creative use of the lift and ladders enabled me to reach most areas. Here I am preparing some of the top areas for painting.

This is Kevin Tompkins, the newest helper on the C119 team. He purchased and donated these landscape timbers to tidy up the mulch area beneath the plane.

When we started working on this plane, the port engine covers were not on. A bunch of us mounted them, but could not secure them. After years of waiting, we just now switched them around and with much sweat, hammering, pounding, swearing, got them to fit correctly.

Three of the hard working Boxcar Boys. Left to right - Bob Cox, Kevin Tompkins, Ollie (Dave Oliver).
Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager, C119G Flying Boxcar.
Dave Kolchuk

Return to C119G Restoration - The "Phoenix Rising" Project