C119 Report - 3/24/2017 - New Volunteers.

This is for information and updates on the restoration of the C-119 "Flying Box Car"

C119 Report - 3/24/2017 - New Volunteers.

Postby Dave Kolchuk » 25 Mar 2017 08:34

Things have been a little quiet during the long winter months, but work has still slowly kept going on indoor projects. With April just around the corner we hope to make more progress on the ambulance and the park benches, and I'm looking forward to the warmer weather so I can get back to painting the Boxcar.

Two new volunteers have joined the C119 crew since last Fall. This is Tony Venturo who has started the restoration of the two park benches recently donated to us.

Tony has also been working on the ambulance, grinding off all the old paint.

New volunteer Dave Hasler has been focusing on the ambulance restoration. He owns one just like ours which he has restored to running condition with all the correct markings. Under his guidance our vehicle, though not running, will look just as it did during WWII.

Through his many connections with other military vehicle restoration groups and individuals,
Dave has acquired instruments and shift levers for our truck. We have no transmission but
the levers will be made to look functional.

Dave has already started cleaning up the instrument panel. The openings at left will house our gauges.

Using Bondo, Dave has started filling in holes and dents in the ambulance. It's been difficult to make a lot of progress due to cold weather, but we expect that to change soon.

I've been focusing on the nose of the truck and have the front looking a lot better. here are a few before/after photos to show the difference. It's amazing what a little elbow grease and paint will do.

Ollie (Dave Oliver) had a hard time finding a replacement tail gate for his truck, so he made his own out of wood and metal. It's fully functional and using his creativity, has given it a unique look. Try to imagin pulling up behind this vehicle in traffic!

I know activity on this forum has been little and slow coming lately, but I hope to change that soon. The upcoming warmer weather will help. I have also been working on the new NWM website, trying to learn the software so I can start posting there as well. For now, until I am more comfortable and up to speed with it, I will continue to post here and link these pages from the website. We are also looking into updating the Message Board to reflect our new name, graphics, and clean it up a bit. More on this later. Thanks for your patience.
Dave Kolchuk
Project Manager, C119G Flying Boxcar.
Dave Kolchuk

Return to C119G Restoration - The "Phoenix Rising" Project