***January 12th Museum Update***

Museum News and Photo Updates, HAG/NWM Discussions, HAG/NWM Member News, Ideas, Questions, Stories, anything related to the 1941 "HAG" and the National Warplane Museum is welcomed here!

***January 12th Museum Update***

Postby Austin Hancock » 13 Jan 2013 12:57

Hello all you HAG fans! We hope you are enjoying this great weather break (if you're in WNY.) Yesterday, we took advantage of the higher temps and opened the hangar doors for some fresh air. 8-) There exists a lot of excitement around the museum, with many fresh and new endeavors on the horizon. Here's a rundown of the latest HAG news...

Aircraft-

C-47 "Skytrain"- Our maintenance regime continues as planned with the '47. The landing gear stip/re-painting is moving along flawlessly (see pics for details.) In 1-2 weeks, the annual inspection will be completed as well. Also, there is some very big news in regards to our C-47 that will be released shortly, so stay tuned.

C-119 "Flying Boxcar"- The C-119 is receiving some much deserved TLC this winter. The restoration crew managed to remove the horizontal stabilizer before winter hit, and it now resides in the shop. This component, along with the other control surfaces, will be re-covered and re-painted through the winter.

UC-43 "Traveler"- In order to get the C-47 completed in a timely manner, our attention has shifted away from the Staggerwing for the moment. Our plan is to still have her flying again by airshow, though! Work should commence again shortly.

Buildings and Grounds-

Display Facility- The "Operation High Flight" fundraising campaign is in full swing, and every dollar counts! The more donations we receive, the faster we can complete our new interactive display facility. 8-)

Archives/Library/Admin Building- Donna and crew have done a great job of organizing and keeping things clean. Also, the SUNY Geneseo interns are doing fabulous work in recording our library and memorabilia collection.

P-51B "Lucy Gal" Project- Nothing new to report from the Croatian front, but I hope that will change shortly. I grow impatient, wanting to move forward with the project, but not knowing what direction to go in (start building vs. waiting for airframe.)

2013 Geneseo Airshow- Our 1st airshow planning meeting was Wednesday night. It went great! There is a lot of new, fresh, young energy this year like nothing I've seen before. We plan to operate things a little differently this year, making a few necessary changes that have been exposed from recent show experiences. Among these improvements is a creation of my own. I will be developing a Museum/Airshow app for 2013! Stay tuned for details on this as I progress. Also, we have many optimistic targets for show aircraft this year, including a B-17, B-24, Lanc, DH.98 Mossie, etc.

Pictures- Here's what you missed this weekend in Geneseo...!

"Look Ma! No wheels!" Lol.

Lee busy stripping the old paint off of the landing gear components.

Here's the landing gear with paint stripped. Ready for priming/painting.

A few completed landing gear pieces, shiny new!

C-119 Rudders ready for strip and recovering.

C-119 elevator ready for some attention.

Blue Skies and Tailwinds...
Austin Hancock

FAA Part 141 Commercial Pilot Student (Current PPT) - Rochester Air Centre
Marketing & Museum Studies B.S. Student - St. John Fisher College

585-286-6781
ahancock51@gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/austin-hancock/80/763/20b
Austin Hancock
Site Admin

Re: ***January 12th Museum Update***

Postby Terry Swann » 13 Jan 2013 14:43

Here are some more pictures to go along with Austin's report.

According to these pictures, Snoopy has been found by the Red Baron.

They moved some of our old engines into the big Hangar. They may be going to start cleaning them up or something.

Al and Reed were working on the Navion also..

The C-119G looks right at home out in the snow.

Paul and Kevin working on the C-119G parts.

This is some of the Birds Nests that were taken out the the rudders, elevators, etc. Some were left in because the fabric covering them was still good..

Kevin is ironing the fabric to make it stick, take out any bubbles and tighten it..

This is the tail section..

There is a piece missing on the bottom left and Ollie is working on replacing it now.

These painted landing gear parts are from one side of the C-47.

Terry Swann

Postby Peter Ball » 15 Jan 2013 15:18

Hi Austin,

quote "We plan to operate things a little differently this year, making a few necessary changes that have been exposed from recent show experiences."

Besides your app can you elaborate on some of the other things?

Pete
Peter Ball

Postby Austin Hancock » 15 Jan 2013 23:45

Peter Ball wrote:Hi Austin,

quote "We plan to operate things a little differently this year, making a few necessary changes that have been exposed from recent show experiences."

Besides your app can you elaborate on some of the other things?

Pete

Sure thing! At the meeting, we re-enforced the need to focus on warbirds in our show. Last year, due to our top-4 acts cancelling, we had to go heavy on aerobatics. This year, we are only planning on 1 acro act and 1 sailplane. Also, some acts we have had for years, maybe it's time to move on from some and allocate the $$$ elsewhere to fresh acts/warbirds? (We think so!) Does the show really need to be 6 straight hours? Maybe a break/intermission with some other WWII/aviation activity? (i.e. r/c planes, gliders, rockets, etc.)

The mobile app will give immediate updates on show aircraft statuses. The attendees who really want to know this info immediately have access to the technology to use the app (and we've seen this as proof through numerous angry mb and fb posts! lol ;) ) I believe that this will help keep the die-hard fans in the loop and satisfied with the operation of the show.

Essentially, we want to streamline our operations. We plan to embrace technology and the fresh-new ways of doing things that newer/younger volunteers have suggested and brought into our organizations. Hope this answers your question!
Austin Hancock

585-286-6781
ahancock51@gmail.com
Austin Hancock
Site Admin

Postby Ken Zollitsch » 16 Jan 2013 08:23

Austin Hancock wrote:Sure thing! At the meeting, we re-enforced the need to focus on warbirds in our show. Last year, due to our top-4 acts cancelling, we had to go heavy on aerobatics. This year, we are only planning on 1 acro act and 1 sailplane. Also, some acts we have had for years, maybe it's time to move on from some and allocate the $$$ elsewhere to fresh acts/warbirds? (We think so!) Does the show really need to be 6 straight hours? Maybe a break/intermission with some other WWII/aviation activity? (i.e. r/c planes, gliders, rockets, etc.)

Thanks for the info Austin. Glad to hear of some of the changes. If I could make a suggestion, if the flying is shortened (which I support), I wouldn't want to see any more than a half hour break from the flying during the day. Otherwise, I would suggest starting it a little later like at 11:00. It seems like because the population base which attends the show travels from at least 30min to 1 hour away, there are still a ton of cars streaming in at 9 to 10. I think it'd be best to start the show a little later and keep the flying continuous instead of having a large gap in the middle where some might lose interest. Starting later would give more opportunity for those that come late to view the planes on the ground. It could also allow for some late morning aircraft arrivals to still make it in and be part of the show. I also believe that if you drop one hour from the show, it's that much less you need to spend on specific acts and more you can spend on additional aircraft (ie. instead of having an 2-3 acro acts perform for that hour, you could spend the additional money on another fighter or bomber to go up with the group during their time slot).

Also, you guys should consider notifying everyone when you start to get confirmed aircraft, even if they're just trainers. Thunder Over Michigan and Hamilton have both started to release their attendees and I think it helps to create more interest and a buzz for the show which thereby gets people excited and may increase attendance.
Ken Zollitsch

Postby Austin Hancock » 16 Jan 2013 22:35

Ken, thanks for the input. Everything you mentioned is pretty much verbatim what we said at the meeting, so that's good!

In regards to posting confirmed aircraft earlier, we would be doing that right now if we had them. We usually start booking planes right about this time of year, as our budget and possible sponsorships/donations toward acts becomes clearer and more concrete. Otherwise, we'd be booking aircraft that we couldn't pay for! (lol) We don't have the budget that shows like Hamilton, Michigan, et al have, so we have to plan a tad differently.
Austin Hancock

585-286-6781
ahancock51@gmail.com
Austin Hancock
Site Admin

Postby Rodger Miller » 17 Jan 2013 01:51

That is some good work and pictures speak a thousand words. I like the old Jeep in the picture, can you tell me more about it? Is it used as an MP Jeep, static, or if it is a work in progress?
I have been trying to follow along being a new MB onlooker, not too familiar with much else. I will one day take a spin on over and check out that Hellcat that looks great..2 8-)
Rodger Miller

Postby Michael Slane » 27 Jan 2014 21:32

Cool, About some changes into the new age so to speak. Wow another warbird app Yeah!! Would be cool to see a B-17 again. Not a big fan of the B-24, though in many ways was a better bomber for it's time and they made 1000s more than B-17. I agree that we also need an intermission during the show. My thoughts on the P-51 Project... Building First then Plane.
Michael Slane

Postby Nathan Milarta » 05 Feb 2014 00:19

I would suggest one military jet demo. I like them too but so do many other people. I know the one year when you guys had the F-15 demo I heard more then a few people comment that, that is why they came to the show. Perhaps a cool jet fighter would bring a few more people into the show.
Nathan Milarta

Postby Gary Lampman » 05 Feb 2014 12:11

Maybe thes folks could be invited:
http://warbirdheritagefoundation.org/index.php
Gary Lampman

Return to 1941 Historical Aircraft Group and National Warplane Museum Matters